It's a Season of Summer Events at Shawnee Park!
With the improvement project wrapping up at Shawnee Park, the City’s Board for Recreation, Arts and Cultural Activities (BRACA) has been busy planning a season of summer events for you and your family! Shawnee Park is Xenia’s premier park and sits on 11.43 acres. Its showcase is a large Pavilion and stage next to a lagoon with two fountains. It also has three other picnic shelters, many picnic tables, restrooms, play equipment, a paved walking trail, ample off-street parking, and generous open play areas.
The summer events season will kick off with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the park on Friday, June 1, 2012, at 3 p.m. to celebrate the rededication of the park.
The summer events would not be possible without generous sponsorships. The most popular “Movies in the Park” series has been absent for a few years, but it is back this year thanks to sponsorship by Faith Community United Methodist Church. The long-standing “Music in the Park” series is once again sponsored by Nationwide Biweekly Administration. Finally, the popular Fishing Derby is sponsored by various individuals and organizations, such as Farmers Insurance Agency, F & S Bait, AMVETS, and the VFW. The City will stock the lagoon with fish for this catch-and-release event.
Mark your calendars for the following Shawnee Park summer events as follows:
- Fri., June 1st 3 p.m. Grand Opening/Ribbon Cutting for Shawnee Park
- Fri., June 1st at dusk Movies in the Park (The Muppets)
- Sat., June 2nd 9 a.m. – noon Fishing Derby (registration starts at 8:30 a.m.)
- Sun., June 3rd 6:30 – 8 p.m. Music in the Park ~ Ohio Valley British Brass Band
- Sun., July 1st 6:30 – 8 p.m. Music in the Park ~ Ray Foster’s “4 to Go”
- Fri., July 13th at dusk Movies in the Park (movie TBD)
- Sun., August 5th 6:30 – 8 p.m. Music in the Park ~ Ralph Kettering and the Impossibles
- Fri., August 17th at dusk Movies in the Park (movie TBD)
- Sun., August 26th 6:30 – 8 p.m. Music in the Park – Special 25th Anniversary Performance by Greene County Adult Band
All the events listed above are FREE to the public. Visit the City’s website, www.ci.xenia.oh.us, for more information. Should you have any questions, contact Councilman Wes Smith, Chair of BRACA, at 620-5931 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
See you at the park!